Articles on General Health Topics

Men’s Health Issues Introduction

Men’s Health Issues Introduction Many health issues affect men. Worse yet, aging increases the likelihood that many of the health issues may occur. Nevertheless, you can reduce your chances of experiences theses health issues by educating yourself. The major men’s health issues include cardiovascular, reproductive, and metabolic issues. The following sections provide practical information on… Read more

Heart Attack Introduction

Heart Attack Introduction (AKA Myocardial Infarction)1 Heart attack (aka myocardial infarction) is synonymous with unfortunate consequences and possibly death. But, do you really know what it is and what to do if it happens to you or someone you love. Our goal is to provide you with a basic understanding of what a heart attack… Read more

Heart Attack Risk Factors

What Are Heart Attack Risk Factors? As you can imagine, there are a wide range of heart attack risk factors. However, as mentioned in EMG’s Heart Attack: An Introduction article, atherosclerotic plaque rupture is the cause of ~90% of heart attacks. The remaining 10% are caused by anything else that can temporarily or permanently decrease… Read more

Heart Attack Signs and Symptoms

Heart Attack Signs and Symptoms As a man ages, he must be aware of both typical and atypical heart attack signs and symptoms. Early treatment is essential to both short-term and long-term survival. The most important factor in survival when a heart attack occurs is early defibrillation. Defibrillation involves delivering a therapeutic electrical shock to… Read more

Stroke Introduction

What Is a Stroke? A stroke is similar to a heart attack in that it is basically death of an area of brain tissue. This tissue death results from either temporary or permanent loss of blood flow to that area of the brain or from bleeding inside the brain. These two forms of stroke are… Read more

Stroke Risk Factors

What are Stroke Risk Factors? Stroke risk factors can be broken down into ischemic stroke risk factors and hemorrhagic stroke risk factors. Within these two broad classes of stroke risk factors are those that are controllable and those that are not. Ischemic Stroke Uncontrollable Risk Factors Risk factors that cannot be controlled include age, race,… Read more

Stroke Signs and Symptoms

Stroke Signs and Symptoms The signs and symptoms are the same for both types of stroke: ischemic stroke and hemorrhagic stroke. If you experience any of the stroke signs or symptoms discussed below, CALL 911 or go to the EMERGENCY ROOM IMMEDIATELY. You have very little time before damage from a stroke to brain tissue… Read more

Blood Pressure Introduction

Blood Pressure Introduction Doctors talk about high blood pressure, or hypertension, all the time. Everyone knows that high blood pressure is bad for you and can lead to numerous health problems. The healthcare industry as a whole spends hundreds of millions of dollars each year on medications and other treatments for high blood pressure. Yet,… Read more

Causes of High Blood Pressure

Causes of High Blood Pressure There are numerous causes of high blood pressure. Basically, anything that increases the force of blood coming out of the heart and decreases the amount of space in the vascular system to accommodate that force increases overall blood pressure. High blood pressure is almost universally caused by a combination of… Read more